SPHERE Wafer Series
Designed for wafer processing, Nordson MARCH's SPHERE™ series plasma systems are ideal for wafer-level and 3D packaging applications. Plasma applications include descum, ashing/photoresist/polymer stripping, dielectric etch, wafer bumping, organic contamination removal, and wafer destress.
Nordson MARCH's SPHERE series plasma systems are ideal for wafer processing prior to typical back-end packaging steps, as well as wafer-level packaging, 3D packaging, flip-chip, and traditional packaging. The patented chamber design and control architecture enables short plasma cycle times with very low overhead, ensuring that throughput for your application is maximized and cost of ownership is minimized.
SPHERE series systems support automated handling and processing of round or square wafer/substrate sizes ranging from 75mm to 300mm. In addition, thin wafer processing with or without carriers is possible, depending upon wafer thickness.
The patented plasma chamber design provides exceptional etch uniformity and process repeatability. Primary plasma applications include a variety of etching, ashing, and descum steps. Other plasma processes include contamination removal, surface roughening, increasing wettability, and enhancing bonding and adhesion strength, photoresist/polymer stripping, dielectric etch, wafer bumping, organic contamination removal, and wafer destress.
Wafer Cleaning - The SPHERE series plasma systems remove contamination prior to wafer bumping, remove organic contamination, remove fluorine and other halogen contamination, and remove metal and metal oxides. Plasma also improves spun-on film adhesion and cleans metallic bond pads.
Wafer Etching - Plasma systems descum wafer of residual photoresist and BCB, pattern dielectric layers for redistribution, strip/etch photoresist, enhance adhesion of wafer applied materials, remove excess wafer applied mold /epoxy, enhance adhesion of gold solder bumps, destress wafer to reduce breakage, improve spun-on film adhesion, and clean aluminum bond pads.
Models and Configurations
TropoSPHERE™ Plasma System: Designed for high-throughput processing of semiconductor wafers (and other flat substrates) in sizes ranging from 3 in. to 200mm (8 in.) in diameter, for wafers held in open cassettes.
- Dual cassette load stations to minimize idle time
- Multi-size capable aligner with minimal hardware change-over required
- Robust robotic wafer engine
- Integrated wafer recognition for high reliability wafer handling
- Compact design minimizes floor space
- Unique kits allow fast change-over between wafer sizes and supports multi-load for smaller wafer sizes
- Highly uniform treatment and fast throughput
- High Throughput Processing
StratoSPHERE™ Plasma System: Designed for high-throughput processing of semiconductor wafers up to 300mm (12 in.) in diameter. The patented plasma chamber design provides exceptional etch uniformity and process repeatability. Its three-axis symmetrical chamber ensures all areas of the wafer are treated uniformly, while tight control over all process parameters ensures highly repeatable results.
- Software controlled change-over minimizes transition from 200mm to 300mm wafers
- Production-ready wafer handling supports backside or edge-grip transfer of wafer
- Modular design allows single- or dual-chamber system configuration
- Load ports support 200mm open cassettes or 300mm FOUP
- Unique end-effector design can transfer a variety of wafer thicknesses and weights
- Chamber kits isolate plasma distribution directly above the wafer, maximizing uniformity and throughput