Solder Paste Dispensing Equipment
A wide selection of solder paste materials can be dispensed with Nordson ASYMTEK's field-proven dispensers and valves
In electronics manufacturing, solder paste dispensing is often used to attach components to PCBs that have already been populated with other components. Dispensing consistency and accuracy over the entire wet dispense area needs to be maintained.
Nordson ASYMTEK offers systems that are capable of dispensing solder paste in a wide range of operations including production, labs and R&D, and on many surfaces, including recesses. Nordson ASYMTEK's in-line, SMEMA-compatible and batch dispensers are fully programmable dispensing platforms that easily adapt to most production requirements for accuracy, speed and process carrier design. These systems can be configured with the DV-8000 Heli-Flow® Pump or the piezo-driven SV-100 Slider Valve depending on your specific solder paste application.
Non-contact laser height sensing or low-force height sensing delivers accurate and consistent dispense height control for excellent dot repeatability and consistent solder paste line widths. The latest generation of platforms from Nordson ASYMTEK contributes to other solder paste dispensing applications:
- Solder paste rework after screen printing to address designs that are difficult to screen print
- Soldering rework for component replacement
- R&D testing, before a solder printing stencil is designed
- High-mix, low-volume production, as a lower-cost alternative to solder screen printing
To ensure a successful solder paste dispensing process, keep these facts in mind:
- Solder paste with 84 to 86% metal by weight is most ideal for dispensing
- Dots smaller than 300 microns typically require solder paste type 5 or type 6 and a 28 to 30 gauge needle
- Controlling the dispense gap is very important for achieving consistent dot size or line width. If substrates are warped, additional process controls like frequent height sensing, will be required