May 6, 2010 East Providence, RI – Nordson EFD, a division of Nordson Corporation (Nasdaq: NDSN) has won the 2010 Progressive Manufacturing 100 Award sponsored by Managing Automation magazine.
Nordson EFD won in the “Operational Excellence/Continuous Improvement” category for consolidating four separate buildings into a state-of-the-art, 116,000 square foot facility and using LEAN principles to increase productivity, reduce inventory levels, shorten lead times and decrease energy usage.
"Continuous learning and improvement has always been a cornerstone of the Nordson culture," according to EFD President Jeff Pembroke. "LEAN, a business philosophy that focuses on eliminating waste, is a critical component of our business efforts. For the last several years we have conducted numerous LEAN events to make our processes more efficient, and then used that knowledge to lay out our new facility."
Benefits realized from this approach include:
- Greater efficiency and productivity in all departments.
- Shorter intervals between when orders are placed and when they ship.
- Significantly reduced inventory levels, without affecting product lead times.
- Layout of the new facility in accordance with LEAN workflow principles freed up floor space for future expansion.
- Energy produced during the manufacturing process is captured and used for heating and cooling the facility, saving gas and electricity.
- Energy-saving lighting and water-saving plumbing fixtures throughout the facility conserve resources and reduce waste.
- Installation of an advanced, energy-efficient HVAC system provides a comfortable working environment while consuming minimal resources.
Nordson EFD designs and manufactures precision dispensing devices for applying controlled amounts of the adhesives, sealants, lubricants and other assembly fluids used in almost every manufacturing process. Nordson EFD products are available through a worldwide network operating in over 30 countries.
Nordson EFD is a division of Nordson Corporation (Nasdaq: NDSN), one of the world's leading producers of precision dispensing equipment that applies adhesives, sealants, coatings and other materials to a broad range of consumer and industrial products during manufacturing operations. The company also manufactures equipment used in the testing and inspection of electronic components as well as technology-based systems for curing and surface treatment processes. Headquartered in Westlake, Ohio, Nordson has direct operations and sales support offices in more than 30 countries.